Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Louisiana bayou country is unlike anyplace I've ever been. The trees, the water, the animals, the people, THE FOOD, all combine to create a completely unique sensory experience. After having spent a little time on the bayou, I understand why the Acadians made this place their home.

I often day dream about buying a little houseboat, loading it with as many supplies as it will safely carry, and losing myself in the Atchafalaya swamp for awhile. No Job, no stress, no taxes. Just me and the gators and the mosquito's (I imagine my wife would be there too). Maybe I'll do it and write a book about it sometime. In any event, here are a few photos I took of the swamp.


I took this one in a backwoodsy area called Four Mile Bayou. As I was standing on this spot, snapping this photo, I heard a vehicle coming down the road. A few moments later a huge 70's model ford pickup/uber-swamp machine came roaring around the bend. The thing skided to a halt right beside me and two guys, both looking like the lead guitarist for zz-top jumped out. As they approached I swear I could hear dueling banjos playing in the background. It turns out they were just genuinely concerned that I might be lost, and I think a little excited to see an "outsider".

I asked them if I was on private property, and, if so, would it be alright to stay and take a few more pictures. To this one of them replied "yeah, you're the right color, I suppose."

I guess the "old south" is still alive and well in the Bayou.


Another reminder that I was in the deep south.


Swamp Cypress are some of the coolsest trees in the world. Check out the buttressses on some of them.


Another nice spot on the bayou.


One of my favorite things about the south is the spanish moss that hangs off everythinng. I sat and ate my lunch on that little dock, beneath that big live oak. Good times.


After lunch I decided to go bushwacking, and I'm glad I did. I saw alot more wildlife than I could have seen from the road. Like this little turtle.

I have alot more photos, too, but the blogger is acting buggy. I'll post more later.

No comments: